Saturday, March 13, 2010

Why?

After listening to another of my stories about my students' opinions on race, a friend of mine poked me suspiciously.

"What?" I asked.

"I was wondering how you were managing to talk to me all the way from 1962." She replied.

And that is why I began this blog. I teach "Multiculturalism" to Associates Degree students at a well known, accredited university. When I began, I was shocked to hear many of the opinions my students were freely sharing with me, viewpoints that expose the strong current of racism and prejudice that still exists in our society.

"Racist" is one of the worst labels that can be applied to someone in our supposed post-race society. So naturally, none of my students think that they are one. Or know one. And everyone agrees that stereotypes are bad - except for the stereotypes they believe.

In this blog I will explore what my students believe, why they believe it, and the techniques that I use to introduce new ideas into their worldviews. I welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment